I’m a flexible, fearless, fun (and award winning!) marketer whose channeled her journalism bona fides into creating stellar content no matter the medium.
From tech startups and digital newsrooms to leading nonprofits and global Fortune 100 companies, I work best as a marketing communications Swiss army knife where I help fast-paced, high-performing teams reach and surpass business goals. That could be anything from social media to PR and content marketing or demand generation to inbound and email.
Got an idea? A question? An opportunity? I’m game for it all. Let’s chat!
Global Content Manager | Avnet | 2017 – Present (less than a year)
Principal Consultant | Berry Media LLC | 2014 – Present (3 years)
From a small one-to-one freelance practice that began in 2014 to a full-scale LLC established in early 2017, Berry Media LLC is an integrated marketing communications consultancy aimed at providing personalized services to small and medium-sized businesses.
Case Study — Realty Executives International:
* In three months, I helped B2C & B2B communications as well as support for internal communications and training for a real estate franchisor with an international footprint of 8,000+ professionals in 500+ brokerages from the U.S., Canada, Mexico and across the globe with:
– Social media: Tripled weekly reach and engagement on Facebook, activated LinkedIn posting to add 400+ followers in three months, and increased average monthly Twitter engagement by 50% — all organically. The business result? Nearly 15% more web traffic from social channels and also the lowest bounce rate of any referrer of web traffic.
– Content marketing: Lead blogger with a 7,000 subscription base. The business result? Between 75-90% of subscribers who engaged with blog content visited the website. I also was on the launch team for a custom digital newsletter for subscribers.
– Learning & training: I created training plans for franchisees, including a 4-part webinar series on turbocharging hyperlocal social media, content marketing and PR.
* Moved freelance in 2016 as writer of blog/newsletter content.
Marketing Manager, Editorial | Longboard Asset Management | 2015 – 2017 (2 years)
* Promoted to increasing levels of responsibility from press officer to media relations manager and now a broader marketing manager during my time with Longboard, a $500 AUM asset manager.
* Sole media relations professional who migrated the company’s PR operations in-house, saving $41,000/year while generating 4x the impressions (nearly 200M) and placements (80) YoY in outlets such as CNBC, the Washington Post, Bloomberg and Forbes. The business result? 30% jump in organic website traffic and leads to the sales team. I also brought PR best practices to the company including media training executives and creating the first crisis communications plan.
* Promoted from senior staff writer to editorial manager managed where I penned content for our subscribers as well as for our first inbound marketing process, culminating in a 50M+ owned/earned impression content partnership I chaired with a leading industry association.
* Acted as sole social media manager during my tenure, establishing our presence on Facebook and growing LinkedIn followers by more than 230% through both organic and paid strategies.
Associate Communications Coordinator | PetSmart | 2014 – 2015 (1 year)
* Primary communications/learning liaison for PetSmart’s charitable efforts to its 50,000-plus PetSmart associates. Hand-coded HTML/CSS for SharePoint intranet redesigned that doubled associate engagement with our pages as well as designed the first multichannel on the job tools to deploy internationally for associate training on PetSmart’s nonprofit.
* Also communications generalist for the department: writing fundraising documents (stewardship outreach to associates, the 2015 annual report), acting as organizational spokesperson (running sections of new hire orientation as well as speaking at internal and external events on behalf of the company) and penning multimedia content (contributing to the most successful media campaign in organizational history with an interactive quiz with more than 150K completions, being on the launch team for the first Drupal-based Canadian website and writing web page copy).
* Lead cause marketing event planning, exemplified by the annual point-of-entry communications open house for hundreds of attendees to educate and foster donations that helped support $2 million in funds raised for PetSmart Charities over the course of the year.
Reporter, Editor & Designer | Various | 2010 – 2014 (4 years)
* I wrote, line and copy-edited, designed and section edited at a variety of media outlets including the Arizona Daily Wildcat (where I was promoted from reporter to desk editor, training 7 reporters as we migrated the Arts section from a pull out into an integrated section of the paper), the Arizona Daily Star (where the first article I penned ran Sunday A1 and garnered me an Employee of the Month Award), the Tucson Weekly, the Arizona Republic (where I garnered two Sunday B1s in the second largest Gannett paper in the country), and the Tombstone Epitaph (where I acted as editor in chief, leading a staff of seven, one of which earned a Society of Professional Journalists award for aggressive coverage of the city’s chamber of commerce). I also was published by millennial new site Mic., the New York Times Co., Thomson Reuters and the Chicago Tribune among others.
* My largest full-time job was in 2012-2013 as an Associate Editor at Oser Communications Group, an international magazine publisher, where I was promoted within five months of arrival from copy editor to assistant editor. In these roles, I manage editorial and advertisement traffic, wrote/page designed and/or copy/line edited as well as managed associate editors and freelance writers for Gourmet News, a monthly food business magazine (from 30-100+ pages) with 25,000 circulation; bi-monthly Convenience Retailer (from 24 to 50 pages) with 11,000 circulation and monthly Kitchenware News & Housewares Review (from 24-50+ pages) with 11,000. I also represented the brand at trade shows, managing logistics and client relations from Austin, Texas to Chicago as I fostered warm sales leads and handled on-site customer service.
Teaching Assistant | The University of Arizona | 2009 – 2012 (3 years)
* I assisted teaching and graded assignments for Natural Sciences 101: A Geological Perspective from January – May 2009: I helped peers through workshops and dry laboratories after being selected personally by the department to be one of the youngest TAs in class history.
* I co-taught an Honors colloquium, Paladins: Engaging Talented Minds from August – December 2009: I spearheaded volunteerism, graded assignments and formatted lesson plans weekly for entering Honors freshman to acclimate them to campus as well as to create social networks within the university, promoting student retention and graduation.
* From 2010-2012, I proctored tests for the Testing Office, assisting students in taking the SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT, MPRE and NCEES.
* I helped Professors Nancy Sharkey and Susan Knight instruct an introductory journalism class for freshmen at the UA by aiding in lectures, holding review sessions and grading papers from August 2011 – May 2012: I gained valuable experience in shaping curriculum for college-aged students as well as classroom management, time management, integrating new technologies into the classroom via clickers and mentoring students into jobs at the campus paper as well as internships at local and national news and media outlets.