JAZMINE BRIANNA WOODBERRY
jazminewoodberry.com | email@example.com | @jbwoodberry | linkedin.com/in/jazminewoodberry
Internal Communications Associate Manager, June 2014 – Present
PetSmart Charities, Phoenix, Ariz.
* As PetSmart Charities’ primary communications link with 50,000-plus PetSmart associates, I create and distribute multi-channel content that persuades associates to serve as brand ambassadors for PetSmart Charities, the independent nonprofit arm of the Fortune 500 Company, PetSmart. Content creation duties include communications support to the executive and fundraising teams as well as the management of internal technical e-learning materials including training and onboarding documentation and courses.
* I also act as assistant manager for internal communications by leveraging research and devising tactics to activate new donor bases for the charity, being out front as a spokesperson for the brand as well as behind the scenes writing copy, analyzing awareness, and compiling monthly reports with results and new strategies to deliver better metrics for the charity. I also help lead internal volunteer and fundraising efforts in concert with the fundraising, direct marketing, and stewardship/engagement teams.
* I also work closely with the marketing team to measure media impact and impressions of brand material and inspire and collect user-generated content to fit our brand goals. This also demands the creation of my own magazine, web, and social media written content as well as video/multimedia content.
Freelance Writer, June 2012-Present
* Stringer for Thomson Reuters:
-Covered breaking news, brights and features and aiding the Phoenix Reuters USA correspondent covering Tucson, Southern Arizona, and border news from summer of 2012 to winter of 2013, then transferring up to Phoenix to continue freelance contributions.
* Run the sex & love section of an online start-up health publication, InHue Magazine:
-I coordinate and assign content for an upstart online women’s health magazine with a small staff of contributing writers as well as edit works, foster and mentor freelance writers and craft regular, recurring features to increase visibility and visits to the site.
-I help to push and give feedback on online content and social media strategy in several outlets (Twitter, Facebook, Google+) as well as work in WordPress to distribute and publish content.
-I work in a virtual office with a collection of editors, and helped contribute internal technical and staff documents including anonymous source and social media policies for reporters, writers and editors.
* Freelance social media strategist and copywriter for internet marketing efforts.
Technical Writer, November 2013 – May 2014
FlipSwitch, Chandler, Ariz.
* Sole technical writer and information developer for an e-Learning technology company, blending content strategy and engineering as well as information architecture to create internal and client-facing user guides, in-app tooltips, as well as internal and external release notes for middle and high school online and blended learning environments.
* Honed business communications and analysis skills for various audiences as an aid to copywriting and executive teams.
* Worked closely with BAs, QAs, PMs and SMEs to develop business communications materials within an agile development management system, focusing on scrum.
* Utilized the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft products as well as Sharepoint and cloud UI/UX mockup interfaces to create deliverables in an evolving work environment.
* Aided standardization efforts with creation of style guide, revamp suggestions for tooltips, and creating buyer, user, and software personas to increase and bolster brand voice unification.
Pundit, February 2013 – January 2014
PolicyMic, Online, New York City, N.Y.
* I contributed regular stories to an online millennial news and debate site, specializing in culture, arts and entertainment reporting and opinion writing and still have contacts with arts editors for future freelance contributions.
* I got valuable training in SEO headline writing, feedback from editors on viral and live news, arts and culture reporting, and creating engaging, shareable content for the web.
Associate Editor, November 2012 – November 2013
Gourmet News, 25,000 Circulation; Convenience Retailer, 11,000; Kitchenware News & Housewares Review, 11,000; Oser Communications Group, Tucson, Ariz.
* Assistant edit, manage editorial and advertisement traffic, write, design and copy/line edit for Gourmet News, a monthly food business magazine with 25,000 circulation; lead editor and writer for Convenience Retailer, a bi-monthly publication with 11,000 circulation meant for QSR, foodservice and convenience store professionals.
* Copy edited for AP style and coordinate and aid in production of special editions of food trade show dailies for a Tucson-based publisher with American and European offices; promoted within five months of arrival to positions of increasing responsibility.
* Revamped editorial content to be more journalistic, with a focus on blending food news and current events, garnering praise from the publisher and clients alike.
* Participated in client relations at national trade shows, assuring customer satisfaction and promoting company image nationwide.
* Aided art department, utilizing InDesign and Quark to help with ad placement and creation, page layout, and printer proofing of final magazines.
Arts Editor, January 2010-May 2012
Arizona Daily Wildcat, 10,000 Circulation, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
* Also was employed as a news reporter, assistant news editor, copy editor and page designer as well as writing opinions pieces and mentoring reporters, designers and writers; promoted to increasing levels of responsibility throughout my employment.
* Managed a staff of reporters and columnists for an evolving desk switching from a once-a-week B section to a three-times-a-week integrated Arts & Lifestyle section into the daily paper, winning a desk management award in the process and training non-journalists in story development, copy editing and design, and enterprise reporting.
* Assigned and edited as well as wrote stories on entertainment, pop culture, culture and lifestyles and both fine and visual arts on the UA campus and throughout Tucson.
Editor-in-Chief, August 2011-December 2011
Tombstone Epitaph, 1,000 Circulation, Phoenix, Ariz.
* I acted as editor in chief for the daily local version of the Tombstone Epitaph, published to the city of 1,500, heading up education coverage, as well as leading the design team, interacting with printers, the publisher, and readers and guiding staff members toward Society of Professional Journalists award winning coverage of economic blunders by the city’s Chamber of Commerce.
Pulliam Fellow, June 2011-August 2011
Arizona Republic, 400,000 Circulation, Phoenix, Ariz.
* I focused on education (along with some community focus and business coverage), specifically K-12 in the Deer Valley and Peoria Unified School Districts as well as the cities of Glendale and Peoria for the Glendale Republic, Peoria Republic and The Arizona Republic, including two cover stories for Valley & State, one of them being the section centerpieces.
* Wrote on daily deadlines, covering school board meetings, education budgets, enterprise reporting on testing standards as well as school real estate for several dozen K-12 schools in the Phoenix area.
Reporter and Page Designer, May 2011
The New York Times Student Journalism Institute, New Orleans, La.
* I wrote six stories for online and four stories for print in a two-week intensive with editors from The New York Times and The New York Times Company, being chosen as one of two dozen young journalists to participate in the annual program to foster diverse writing talent.
* I helped in proofing flats and also designed several pages of the publication which is culled together for Times employees, alumni and outside readers.
* Enterprised a story on the impact of redistricting on the fights for political ground across Louisiana, a feature on the Tobasco factory, a science story on lasers in the backwoods of the state as well as press conference and live football game coverage stories.
Editorial Intern, January 2011 – May 2011
Tucson Weekly, 45,000 Circulation, Tucson, Ariz.
* I worked as an editorial intern at the Tucson Weekly, Tucson’s alternative news weekly, writing arts previews for City Week, once a month doing longer features for the Pick of the Week, and also delving into Q&As and currents news features.
* I went above and beyond assigned duties, pitching Q&As and news features as a freelance writer for the publication, and helped to kick off arts coverage on the blog, The Range, as well as helped with listing duties.
* Analyzed proposed campus gun laws, noshed to create a comparative on Ethiopian restaurants and developed stories on fire dancers and a beer-laden bicycle ride as well as regularly blogging and web producing.
Staff Writer, January 2011 – May 2011
Arizona Sonora News Service, University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
* Write staff content for the University of Arizona’s web wire service providing content for news organizations across southern Arizona called Arizona Sonora News Service about IT for colleges and Mexican film festivals.
Border & Immigration Intern, August 2010-December 2010
Arizona Daily Star, 115,000 Circulation, Tucson, Ariz.
* I was an intern for the border section of the Arizona Daily Star in conjunction with the apprentice program the University of Arizona’s School of Journalism has with the Star.
* Winning an Employee of the Month award for my first story during my apprenticeship, I championed interdesk work, participating in stories for the English and Spanish language versions of the newspaper, as well as working on stories with education, arts, crime and research focuses.
Arts and Features Intern, May 2010-August 2010
MetroMix.com Tucson, Tucson, Ariz.
* I worked as a veritable freelance arts, music and features reporter for the website.
* I also shot photos and worked with videographers to create multimedia content for the site.
* I was the first intern in the program to get trained, learn and utilize the site’s content management system, filing stories from around the city on art, fashion, food, culture, music and Tucson events.
– Proficient with Windows and Mac operating systems and MS Office.
– High level working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, InCopy, Acrobat, Reader, Dreamweaver and Final Cut Pro as well as Quark and Quark Copy Desk, blogging platforms like WordPress, HTML/CSS coding and several content management systems.
– Conversational in Spanish.
EDUCATION: University of Arizona, August 2008-May 2012
– Honors Journalism B.A., minors in Spanish and Anthropology
– Magna cum laude graduate
– Coursework in print and web journalism and content production, digital photography, print design, specialized topic writing in features, science, politics, international affairs and community affairs, as well as both media and intellectual property law, pre-law basics, law debate basics and Supreme Court law and theory.
– Nominee, Mark Finley Gold Pen Contest for Best Beginning News Writer, November 2009
– Junior of the Year, University of Arizona School of Journalism, May 2010
– Richard Gilman Scholarship Recipient, University of Arizona School of Journalism, May 2010
– Award for Excellence in Reporting, Arizona Daily Wildcat, May 2010
– Employee of the Month, Arizona Daily Star, September 2010
– Alex Parker Reporting Award, University of Arizona School of Journalism, May 2011
– Arizona Press Club Scholarship winner, Arizona Press Club, May 2011
– Excellence in Desk Management, Arizona Daily Wildcat, May 2012
– Daily Wildcat Impact Award, Arizona Daily Wildcat, May 2012
– William Hattich Professionalism Award, University of Arizona School of Journalism, May 2012
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES: Arizona Journalism Diversity Workshop – Dorm counselor and mentor – June 2010; Arizona Student Media Board – Voting member and chairwoman – Spring 2012; National Association of Black Journalists – Member.
EXTRAS: Lover of pets, hole-in-the-wall restaurants and home cooking, persisting interest in the performing arts and cultural criticism after a dozen years as a cultural anthropology student, competitive choral singer and jazz/lyrical/contemporary/modern/hip-hop dancer, burgeoning road bike enthusiast, and long form writing (and of course, news) junkie.